People are understandably concerned about the coronavirus (COVID-19), as activities in our daily lives have changed significantly. Feelings of uncertainty may cause increased anxiety, and we get it.
To help keep our clients, families and community safe and informed, KidsTLC leadership and medical experts have gathered the following information to address frequently asked questions about the measures we are taking.
The well-being of our children, families and staff is always our top priority, and we will continue to communicate updates as they are available. We are taking all precautionary measures to minimize possible exposure to and spread of COVID-19, and we are in constant communication with state and local health agencies to ensure timely and coordinated response efforts.
We will continue to revise this page with key information, but encourage you to refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a reliable source for the most updated information and guidance as it becomes available.
KidsTLC continues with rigorous cleaning and safety protocols, including wearing of masks and personal protective equipment, disinfecting buildings and physical distancing when practical.
ALL Visitors/Guests to KidsTLC’s campus:
We have cancelled all visitors to campus, with only a few essential exceptions (parents picking up or dropping off, intakes, critical assessments, etc.). Any exceptions to this rule are carefully screened at Bldg. 1, by the main entrance at 480 S. Rogers Road. Contactless donations and deliveries can also be made at this location.
Specific Measure for Outpatient Services:
To balance the need to safely distance our clients, families and staff but also provide much needed services, the following programs will be available as indicated:
- The Lotus Clinics (outpatient services): Telehealth appointments are available for individual and family therapy sessions. Call 913.324.3823 to schedule a visit with one of our clinicians.
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): Services have resumed at our location on Clairborne Road. Parent support and training sessions will continue via telehealth (Zoom).
- The Trellis Center (autism services): Limited on-campus services have resumed. Parent training sessions will continue via telehealth (Zoom).
Specific Measures for Residential Programs (PRTF and QPRT):
- Our residential programs remain open.
- Only KidsTLC staff will be allowed on the residential units.
- Home visits are on hold, with only exceptions 2-4 weeks prior to discharge.
- Family therapy will be conducted via telehealth (Zoom).
- Family visits will also take place via telehealth (Zoom).
- Medical and dental appointments will be rescheduled.
- We are avoiding community trips and off-campus outings.
Undoubtedly, the coronavirus continues to affect many people in different ways and we keep everyone in our hearts as they deal with the uncertainty of the pandemic. To help you find access to the most current information, check out the following resources:
- The Center For Disease Control is one of the first sources where news and recommendations are derived for the United States.
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment provides up-to-date information as it pertains to the state.
- Johnson County Health and Environment is providing information specific to the community around KidsTLC.
WHAT TO DO NOW
Efforts to help keep people as safe as possible may mean a disruption of plans resulting in hardships and anxiety. Keep the following in mind to help address some of your actions:
- Be as prepared as possible, but don’t panic. Click here for tips to protect yourself.
- Be intentional about not stigmatizing individuals who exhibit symptoms, have been exposed to, or are indeed infected with coronavirus.
- Talk to your children if they have concerns. The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry has some great suggestions.
If you or a member of your family thinks they may have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop symptoms, contact your healthcare provider immediately. If you are a client or have been on KidsTLC’s campus, please call 913.764.2887 to let us know.